I live in Flint, Michigan. About five years ago, our water started to smell funny. My family started getting really bad rashes. My little sister had to use special medicine and be wrapped in plastic wrap to heal her skin. She wasn’t the only kid in our town who got so sick. Some people suffered from bad headaches. Others had severe stomach cramps.
It turns out the cause was our water, which was toxic. The water was contaminated with lead, a poisonous metal.
We could not drink or cook with the water that came out of our tap. We had to use bottled water for drinking, cooking, and brushing our teeth. My mom told us we couldn’t take baths or play in the water.
In 2015, when I was 8 years old, I wrote a letter to then-president Barack Obama. I asked him to help the people of Flint. In response, he came to speak with our community. But I wanted to do more.